Monday, September 10, 2018

Introduction and Explanation.

Here we are. Another new layout scheme and another new blog to go with it. If all goes to plan, this will turn into something I've wanted to create for a long, long time. A Model Railway layout based on the Potato Farm Railways of my home county of Lincolnshire in the U.K.
The title of the blog goes back about 10 years to when I was first corresponding with Roy C. Link of Narrow Gauge and Industrial Railway Modelling Review, as he was about to publish an article about my Purespring Watercress layout in issue 70 of said magazine. We had discussed Watercress Railways and my Lincolnshire heritage and he had mentioned in passing that he hoped to one day see a layout based on the Lincolnshire Potato Farm Railways. Back then there were no Potato farm layouts around. Now I know of at least two. Two Sisters Farm and Tates Railway, but it's still a neglected subject.
I have heard tell that some notable modellers have used the phrase. "I'm going to work on my Lincolnshire Potato Railway Layout" to describe a project that will never get started.
As a Lincolnshire Yellowbelly of many generations, the Potato Railways of my home county have long held a fascination for me. I have copies of both editions of Stewart Squires excellent book on the subject and have spent many hours poring over the photographs and text, tracing routes on maps,  looking for the inspiration to start the layout. Many schemes have been concocted over the years, perhaps I still have some of them around. If so, I'm sure I'll share them as things develop.
So sit back, enjoy the ride, and feel free to contribute if you have something to share.




No comments:

Post a Comment